On its 30th anniversary, the WRO Biennale, Poland’s largest show of international contemporary art, which commenced as the International Sound Basis Visual Art Festival in 1989 and has explored the development of communication tools ever since, offers a critical scrutiny of processes unfolding in culture, communication, and society by examining the CZYNNIK LUDZKI / HUMAN ASPECT in a post-technological perspective.
The Biennale will feature special invitation projects and a varied set of works selected from among more than 1,700 submissions from across the world.
Over 100 works will explore the complexities inherent in the current relations between the human and the technological, with the human as an initiator, a recipient and, sometimes, a victim of these mutating interplays.
The WRO exhibitions and events, shows, concerts, performances, etc. will be staged at several locations across the city of Wrocław. The Biennale’s special projects include EMAP – Polish premieres of 6 works produced within the European Media Art Platform.
The following EMAP projects are going to be presented in several locations of the 18. Media Art Biennale WRO HUMAN ASPECT | CZYNNIK LUDZKI 2019
EMAP installations at the Four Domes Pavilion of the National Museum in Wrocław (May 15 - July 28, 2019)
- Anna Dumitriu, Alex May, ArchaeaBot: A Post Singularity and Post Climate Change Life-form, GB, 2018, installation
- Chloé Galibert-Laîné, Kevin B. Lee, Bottled Songs 3 & 4, FR, US, 2018, installation
- Robertina Šebjanič, Gjino Šutić, aqua_forensic, SI, HR, 2018, installation
- Taavi Suisalu, Waiting for the Light, EE, 2018, installation
EMAP installation at the Grotowski Institute, The Laboratory Theatre Space (May 15 - May 19, 2019)
- Katrin Hochschuh, Adam Donovan, Empathy Swarm, DE, AU, 2018, installation
Presentations, panel discussions with participation of EMAP artists and members:
- panel discussion Real, Unreal, Post-Truth moderated by Mariella Nitosławska with participation of Chloé Galibert-Laîné, Dani Ploeger, Alexander Peterhaensel and Zen Lu, Barbara (May 16, 15:30 - 17:00)
- presentation of Anna Dumitriu & Alex May during a conference HUMAN ASPECT / NON HUMAN ASPECT: Education and Experiment, The Eugeniusz Geppert Academy of Art and Design in Wrocław, CSU.CI (May 17, 12:10 - 12:30)
- panel discussion Neural Ecologies moderated by Edwin Bendyk with participation of Robertina Šebjanič, Marco Barotti and Olga Kisseleva, Barbara, (May 17, 11:00 - 13:00)
- open studio with Marco Barotti and presentation of CLAMS (work in progress installation 2019), WRO Atelier (May 18, 14:00 - 15:00)
- Olga Majcen Linn (Kontejner, Zagreb, Croatia) & Peter Zorn (Werkleitz Centre for Media Art, Halle, Germany) representatives of EMAP members at the jury board of the 5th Best Media Arts Graduation Projects Competition AKCES